Undeniable Fact: Chip off the old block

Thursday, December 07, 2006

For many years, potato chips were used only as a packing material and were assumed to be not only inedible but toxic. It wasn't until 1712 that Dr. Robert Frist, a physician from North Carolina, discovered that nearly all of the symptoms displayed by patients who had accidentally ingested the chips were in fact psychosomatic. Frist acquired a patent in 1713, but was unable to successfully market them as food due to the stigma left by their previous function (imagine trying to sell Styrofoam as a snack!).

The snack continued to fail in the marketplace until a resurgence in the 1950's. By this time, more cost-effective packing solutions had been developed, and few people knew or cared about the origins of the humble potato chip.

Labels: , , , ,


Blogger Wilson said...

Maybe, in the future, we'll find out that Styrofoam is no so poisonous as we thought...

11:32 AM  
Blogger roccovw said...

No wonder I get the munchies every time I see a box full of those Styrofoam noodles.

1:05 PM  
Blogger ryan said...

I call BS
Here's the truth

1853, Saratoga Springs, New York
by George Crum


2:36 AM  
Blogger duffy said...

Ryan, read it again. The reference clearly states that Jefferson brought potato chips to the United States to pack dinner ware.

7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home